One of World War II’s greatest untold stories began on April 8, 1942 when Lt. Gen. Jonathan Wainwright, the commander of the U.S. Army in the Philippines, ordered the evacuation of military and civilian nurses to the island of Corregidor. A month later, Corregidor fell and 77 American nurses were captured by the Japanese, becoming the largest group of female prisoners of war.
Known as the “Angels of Bataan and Corregidor,” the group continues to hold the distinction of not losing a single member during their three years in the Santo Tomas Internment camp.
“It is not that they were some of the first women POWs that made them special, but that they were average American from average towns and they survived in a horrific environment while never losing their commitment to serving their patients,” says Bernice Fischer, granddaughter of U.S. Army nurse Mary Bernice Brown-Menzie.
Fischer tells Fox News her grandmother entered the prison camp in 1942 weighing 130 pounds but had dropped to 75 pounds when she was liberated in February 1945.
Many of the women sought assignment in the Philippines prior to December 1941 when the Pacific was relatively peaceful and where they enjoyed dances and other luxuries.
But that changed after the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor and then launched an invasion of the Philippines. For months the nurses faced constant attack by Japanese planes, deteriorating conditions and dwindling rations.
“There were 77 American women who became POWs and there were 77 who walked out in 1945. This is unprecedented, particularly for women who had no formal survival training,” says Elizabeth M. Norman, who chronicled the nurses in the book, “We Band of Angels: The Untold Story of American Nurses Trapped on Bataan.”
According to Norman, under the informal leadership of World War I veteran nurse Capt. Maude Davison, the women always kept to strict schedules waking every day and dressing in uniforms they fashioned themselves.
The discipline combined with a singular dedication to care for their patients, some of whom had been among the 75,000 American and Filipino soldiers captured on April 9, 1942 and forced on a 68-mile “death march” in 100-degree temperatures without food or water.
The nurses cared for the men, known as “The Battling Bastards of Bataan,” despite suffering from starvation and other diseases themselves.
Fischer tells Fox News her grandmother and the other nurses never thought of themselves as heroic because they saw their patients as the real heroes.
Many of the nurses kept diaries, which document the emotional trauma they endured as they witnessed the torture by their Japanese captors.
In one entry, Bernice’s grandmother writes about a soldier who was bound and tied up outside in the heat for three days before being shot in the back.
“Whether he died instantly or wounded and bleeding lived on until he finally died, we will never know. But this cruel, heartless and brutal treatment filled us all with deep grief and sorrow,” she wrote.
A gritty refusal to give in and a commitment to care was life-sustaining for nurses, says Lt. Col. Nancy Cantrell, an historian with the Army Nurse Corps,
“They were a tough bunch,” Cantrell added. “They had a mission. They were surviving for the boys … and each other. That does give you a bit of added strength,” Cantrell told Soldiers Magazine.
Despite the experience, some of the women carried on after the war without any bitterness.
“I have never been bitter, and I have always known that if I could survive that, I could survive anything,” Mildred Dalton Manning, who died in March 2013 at the age of 98, told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
Norman believes those Angels she interviewed for the book recognized that there was little time to get their stories out.
……..AND guess who didn’t show up when The Going Gets Tough that’s right, Whoopi ” the #1 RACIST” Goldberg!!!
New Jersey – Stanford University accepted an 18 year old Muslim student named Ziad Ahmed after he wrote ‘#BlackLivesMatter’ 100 times as a response to an essay question.
Cool application, Ahmed! Wanna bring it to the White House? (Yes, he visited Obama’s White House too)
Just look at this brilliance and his ability to make a cogent point! Impressive!
TO ENLARGE CLICK ON PICTURE BELOW
Voila! Magic! You’ve been accepted, Ahmed! OMG your hashtagging was so inspiring to us at Stanford!
The Daily Caller reports:
The essay prompt asked potential applicants “What matters to you, and why?” reports The Washington Times. One student, a New Jersey high school senior named Ziad Ahmed, answered the question by writing “#BlackLivesMatter” a hundred times.
He received an acceptance letter from Stanford Friday.
“I was actually stunned when I opened the update and saw that I was admitted,” Ahmed told Mic. “I didn’t think I would get admitted to Stanford at all, but it’s quite refreshing to see that they view my unapologetic activism as an asset rather than a liability.”
Ahmed considers himself an ally of Black Lives Matter and told Mic he wanted to stand up for black people.
Ahmed interned for former Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton during the 2016 election and attended a White House dinner during the Obama administration, where he was acknowledged by the president for his activism.
Is anyone surprised by this? Universities that once had prestige are becoming more and more irrelevant by the day.
Ahmed being a ‘Black Lives Matter’ activist is another example of Islam injecting itself into radical leftist groups in order to claim that their civil rights are being trampled on if we reject Sharia law.
Reminder: Islamic countries STILL have black slaves to this day. I wonder what would happen if Ahmed went to one of those countries screaming ‘Black Lives Matter‘? Or how about ‘Christian lives matter’?
SOURCE: Weasel Zippers
Does she know how not to lie?
Via Weekly Standard:
According to a recent headline from Reuters, “U.S. intelligence agencies suspect Assad did not turn over all chemical weapons stockpile.” The evidence of the recent chemical attack in Syria makes that declaration little more than stating the obvious. However, back in January in an in interview with NPR, Obama national security adviser Susan Rice was still touting the Obama administration’s success at removing chemical weapons in Syria:
We were able to find a solution that didn’t necessitate the use of force that actually removed the chemical weapons that were known from Syria, in a way that the use of force would never have accomplished. Our aim in contemplating the use of force following the use of chemical weapons in August of 2013 was not to intervene in the civil war, not to become involved in the combat between Assad and the opposition, but to deal with the threat of chemical weapons by virtue of the diplomacy that we did with Russia and with the Security Council. We were able to get the Syrian government to voluntarily and verifiably give up its chemical weapons stockpile.
Android vendors used to be obsessed with specs, largely because every smartphone out there was so similar that it was the only way to try to set their handsets apart from the rest. While companies like Samsung, LG and HTC don’t focus on specs quite as much anymore in their advertising and marketing, flagship phones obviously still see big spec bumps each and every year. In recent years, however, an interesting trend has emerged: Apple’s “underpowered” iPhones, which always pack fewer processor cores and less RAM than their Android rivals, regularly obliterate Android phones in real world speed tests. In fact, even year-old iPhones tend to beat brand new flagship Android phones, as we’ve also seen time and time again.
Something interesting appears to be happening in 2017, however. We already saw that Samsung’s new Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+ completely crush the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus in multi-core benchmark tests, but it remains to be seen how that translates to real world performance in day-to-day usage. Now, the first speed test video has been posted to YouTube.
We have good news and bad news when it comes to this early real world speed test comparison. The good news is that it’s clear from the video that Samsung’s new smartphones are lightning-fast when it comes to things we do constantly on our phones, such as opening and switching apps. The bad news, however, is that this first speed test was conducted very poorly.
As we’ve explain time and time again, these real world speed tests that YouTube vloggers post are very unscientific. This new test conducted by YouTube user “TECH VOICE 2 POHEN Amer” is even less controlled than most, however. While other vloggers set up a “lap” scenario where each phone races through opening and then reopening the same set of apps, the video below merely shows the narrator attempting to tap on one app after the other and then call one phone a winner each time.
Long story short, this test does a very bad job of actually comparing the speeds of these two phones in real-world scenarios. What it does do, however, is show that Samsung’s new flagship phones are actually faster than the iPhone when opening some apps, which is something we really haven’t seen before.
The full speed test video is embedded below, and we definitely recommend checking it out to see just how impressive the new Galaxy S8 is. As far as actually comparing Galaxy S8 and iPhone 7 Plus performance, we’ll have to wait for some of the more experienced vloggers to get their hands on Samsung’s new flagships before we draw any conclusions.