- Sean Buchanan, 45, from Colorado, was killed when his motorcycle was rammed by a truck operated by illegal immigrant Miguel Ramirez Valiente on August 2
- A day earlier, Valiente’s probation stemming from a 2018 DUI conviction was extended because he had failed to complete his sentence
- Valiente, an undocumented immigrant from El Salvador, was charged with misdemeanor careless driving on revoked license
- He made headlines in January when he had sought refuge in a church to avoid getting deported
- Buchanan was a staunch supporter of rights of immigrants
- He leaves behind his wife and their five children between ages 6 and 15, including two boys adopted from Africa
A staunch supporter of the rights of immigrants – and a married father of five – was killed last week when an illegal immigrant from El Salvador facing deportation crashed into his motorcycle in Colorado.
Sean Buchanan, 45, was driving northbound on Highway 83 on August 2 when Colorado State Patrol say a southbound truck operated by Miguel Ramirez Valiente went off the side of the road, then over-corrected into the wrong lane and crashed into Buchanan’s bike, killing him.
Valiente, an undocumented immigrant who was slated for deportation eight months earlier, was charged with misdemeanor careless driving with a revoked license in the deadly accident.
In an ironic twist, Buchanan was known among friends a passionate advocate for all immigrants.
Officials do not suspect that drugs, alcohol or excessive speed played a role in the collision, reported The Colorado Springs Gazette.
Valiente has a criminal record in Colorado that includes a 2018 conviction for a DUI charge, which earned him a year’s probation and the revocation of his license, and a guilty plea to a charge of reckless endangerment in a child neglect case.
On August 1, less than 24 hours before the deadly crash that killed Buchanan, Valiente’s probation was extended because he had failed to complete his court-ordered treatment program and community service.
He made national headlines in January when he sought sanctuary at All Souls Unitarian Universalist Church in January to avoid deportation to…..Read more »