- Attorney General William Barr has shown he has no respect for the law.
- During his time as attorney general, Barr has acted more like President Donald Trump’s personal defense lawyer than as America’s top law-enforcement official.
- If Trump isn’t voted out of office, Democrats should be prepared to impeach Barr.
- Michael Gordon is a longtime Democratic strategist, a former spokesman for the Justice Department, and the principal for the strategic-communications firm Group Gordon.
- This is an opinion column. The thoughts expressed are those of the author.
It’s time to do something far-reaching about Attorney General Bill Barr.#ImpeachBarr and #DisBarr climbed the social-media charts over the past week after Barr’s Justice Department moved to intervene on President Donald Trump’s behalf in a defamation lawsuit. In a stunning move, Barr stepped in from the president’s personal lawyers to take over the defense of the case against the commander-in-chief. The suit stems from Trump’s response to a sexual-assault claim.
That’s right: At taxpayer expense, the attorney general is marshaling the resources of the Justice Department to defend Trump on a personal matter — not a governance matter.
It’s just the latest in a long list of actions by Barr to protect the president’s politics at the expense of the rule of law that nourishes our democracy.
Barr has made a new art form of politicizing the Department of Justice and imposing his will through interference, obstruction, and subversion. He has made it clear that he works for the president — not the American people.
Given this reality, it’s time for Congress — especially Democrats — to prepare to impeach Barr.
Blurring bright lines
At every turn as attorney general, Barr increasingly reveals that he’s Trump’s crony.
He has asked foreign governments to discredit the Mueller report.
He has fought tooth and nail to block the release of Trump’s tax returns.
He tried to throw out charges against the former Trump adviser Michael Flynn after he pleaded guilty.
He shamefully defended the Trump ally Roger Stone.
He punishes or fires DOJ officials who don’t fall in line behind Trump.